Monday, August 22, 2011

Props to a Fallen Friend

Yes, I lost a friend over the weekend while riding at Waverly ... my thirteen year love affair with my mountain bike wheels came to an abrupt end when four spokes removed themselves from the rim all at once. It was as if to say, "we love you and we've been there for you through good times and bad, but on this day, we just don't have it in us anymore." Of course there were signs that the end was near - bent and broken spokes here and there, cracking, bulging and splitting of the rim at the spoke nipples, a slight pinging noise when under power, re-truing before every ride - but each and every trip until now, these guys brought me home. Even in the end, they had my back ... they held on until the last mile and a half of a sixteen mile ride. So, after it was all said and done it was fitting that utlimately, I carried them home.

Of course, it it weren't for John Molnar, we never would have met. So, here's to John, my wheels, and Jeff Schwinn where the introduction took place!

For those of you wanting to pay respects, simply tip your helmet to the next set of Bontrager Mustang rims still in service on the trails and if they happen to be laced up to Nuke Proof Superfly hubs, well just know that you are standing in front of greatness.

"This is the end
Beautiful friend
This is the end
My only friend, the end"
- Jim Morrison


1 comment: